Neighbourhood Schools Development Project
Improving the overall infrastructure and educational facilities and skills of students of disadvantaged government schools located in Colombo. The aim of this initiative is to create an environment more conducive for learning and enhance the quality of education of disadvantaged Government schools.
The Foundation originally commenced with 5 state schools, but now supports 8 schools in Colombo catering to a mixed student population representing all communities and religions.
|Name of School||Average Population||Gender||Grade Span|
|Al Iqbal Muslim Balika Vidyalaya, Colombo 02||Muslim||Girls only||Grades 1- 11|
|Holy Rosary Sinhala Vidyalaya, Colombo 02||Sinhala||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
|Holy Rosary Tamil Vidyalaya, Colombo 02||Tamil||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
|Siri Sariputta Maha Vidyalaya, Colombo 02||Sinhala||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
|T.B.Jayah Maha Vidyalaya, Colombo 02||Muslim||Boys only||Grades 1 - 11|
|Modara Sri Medhananda Vidyalaya, Colombo 15||Mixed||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
|Colombo Central Hindu College, Colombo 13||Hindu Tamil||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
|Al Hikma College, Colombo 12||Muslim||Mixed||Grades 1 - 11|
The project which is implemented with the support of the CSR teams of Cinnamon Grand and Cinnamon Lakeside has impacted hundreds of students over the years via the following initiatives:
- Infrastructure and facility development – including construction, renovation and maintenance of water and sanitation, science/home science/computer labs, provision of school furniture, fittings and computer equipment, etc.
- Skills development – English language and IT skills; revision workshops for students preparing for Grade 5 Scholarship Examination and G.C.E. Ordinary Level Examination.
- Career Guidance & Vocational Training - for Ordinary Level students awaiting results and school leavers. Eligible students of the 8 schools are also included in the English for Teens Scholarship Programme.
- Career Guidance & Vocational Training Programme
The Foundation conducts an annual Career Guidance Programme open to students of all eight schools who have completed their Ordinary Level Examination. The programme comprises of workshops on personal effectiveness and basic career guidance followed by business specific presentations relating to Hospitality, Retail, Property and Logistics Sectors including career opportunities and entry level requirements in the respective Sectors of the Group.
After the release of Ordinary Level Examination results, those students who do not qualify for Advanced Level studies are given an opportunity to apply for a six-month Vocational Training at Group businesses including Hospitality, Retail, Property and Logistics Sectors.
In 2015/16 , the previous batch of vocational trainees (students who sat for the Ordinary Level Examination in 2014) successfully completed their six-month training at the respective business units – namely, Cinnamon Grand Colombo, Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo and Keells Super supermarkets. Out of the fifteen (15) students originally selected, five (5) did not record the minimum attendance, leaving 10 trainees successfully completed the programme and were awarded certificates. Along with the training provided for the trainees, it is encouraging to see many diligent trainees being recruited into the cadre in the past and given additional business specific training both internally and externally
- The annual Career Guidance programme was conducted on the 21st of September 2017 comprising sessions […]Read More
- John Keells Foundation conducted its annual Grade 05 scholarship revision workshops for the benefit of […]Read More
- The annual Career Guidance programme was conducted on the 31st of January 2017 comprising sessions […]Read More
- John Keells Foundation organized a parent briefing on the 2nd of December towards enhancing parent’s […]Read More
- 6 classes were held for children from John Keells Neighbourhood School Development project in both […]Read More