English Language Scholarship Programme
The English Language Scholarship Programme of John Keells Foundation was launched in 2004 in collaboration with Gateway Language Centre. This long-term and island-wide project is aimed at enhancing English language skills of schoolchildren and youth from socially economically disadvantaged backgrounds towards improving their opportunities for higher learning and sustainable employment in an increasingly competitive world.It complements State policy and initiatives to improve speaking and communicative skills in English throughout Sri Lanka.
The main focus is ‘English for Teens’ – with over 1000 scholarships on offer each year to 12-14 year old students of disadvantaged government schools. High-performing students have the opportunity of natural progression to the next level. In addition, identified groups of youth and children are also offered customized programmes e.g. University of Moratuwa Transport and Logistics Management (Bsc (T&LM) Hons.) and students of the school for the Deaf, Ratmalana. Each year, a total of approximately 1,500 scholarships are provided to children and youth from across the country.
Since its launch in 2004, this programme has empowered the lives of over 13,000 children and youth islandwide.
- JKF together with the Gateway Language Centre also launched a pilot initiative to develop the […]Read More
- “The John Keells Scholarship Programme has opened a golden opportunity for students from rural and […]Read More
- English Language Scholarship Programme commenced foundation-level classes at 21 different locations in the first two […]Read More
- The John Keells English Day 2015, a drama and poetry competition organized among the John […]Read More
- Held annually, the John Keells English Day for 2014 was conducted at the Bishops College […]Read More